Original Practice Shakespeare starts a wave of Shakespeare in Portland. Brian Allard, Noah Goldenberg and Clara Hillier of OPS joins Dmae Roberts live in the studio to talk about their upcoming free performances of As You Like It and Romeo &Juliet throughout the Portland area. We’ll also hear a short piece about multiracial artists for the upcoming Loving Day on June 10th, a celebration of mixed race families around the country.
Hear about their unique style of Shakespeare, performing with scripts with their own roles only and with different casting each performance. A free family outing with Shakespeare, improv and the outdoors.
Original Practice Shakespeare Festival (OPS Fest) performs William Shakespeare’s As You Like It and Romeo & Juliet this summer.
AYLI follows the stories of a banished Duke, a cross-dressing woman, a collection of lovers, clowns, and a morose ex-courtier, and touches on all of humanity, from life to love to death. Romeo & Juliet tells the famed tragedy of star-crossed lovers from feuding families.
OPS Fest brings energetic and engaging performances the Oregonian has called “fun, action-packed and fast-moving.”
Many specialized events are also happening with OPS Fest this year. June 21st marks their second annual performance of A Midsommer Nights Dreame on a Midsummer night, at the top of Council Crest Park.
They perform their full repertoire of five plays, in only four days, in July at Laurelhurst Park.
OPS Fest will also be a part of Milepost 5’s Shakespeare Festival in July, as well as a part of all Sunday Parkways events, spanning from May to September.
- Thursday 6/21, 10pm – Council Crest – 2nd Annual Midsummer Midsommer
- Saturday, 6/23, 2pm – Gabriel Park – As You Like It
- Sunday, 6/24, 1pm – Kenton Park – Romeo and Juliet
- Friday, 6/29, 7pm – Esther Short Park, Vancouver – As You Like It
- Saturday, 6/30, 2pm – Cathedral Park – As You Like It
- Sunday, 7/1, 2pm – Washington Park – As You Like It
- Saturday, 7/7, 7pm – Director Park – Romeo and Juliet
- Sunday, 7/8, 2pm – Irving Park – As You Like It
- Thursday, 7/12, 7pm – Laurelhurst Park – Twelfe Night
- Friday, 7/13, 7pm – Laurelhurst Park – A Midsommer Nights Dreame
- Saturday, 7/14, 2pm – Laurelhurst Park – Much Adoe About Nothing
- Saturday, 7/14, 7pm – Laurelhurst Park – Romeo and Juliet
- Sunday, 7/15, 2pm – Laurlhurst Park – As You Like It
- Friday, 7/20, 7pm – Marylhurst University – As You Like It
- Saturday, 7/21, 12pm – Milepost 5 – As You Like It
- Saturday, 7/21, 6pm – Carolwood Park, Beaverton – As You Like It
- Saturday, 7/22, 1pm – Gabriel Park – A Midsommer Nights Dreame
- Sunday, 7/22, 7pm – Milepost 5- Romeo and Juliet
- Friday, 7/27, 7pm – Nehalem – Romeo and Juliet
- Saturday, 7/28, 1pm – Nehalem – As You Like It
- Sunday, 8/5, 2pm – Lents Park – As You Like It
- Sunday, 8/26, 1pm – Mt. Tabor Park – As You Like It
All performances are free!
Further details about OpsFest and additional performances can be found on the website at www.opsfest.org.
And in the latter part of the show, we’ll hear a feature story about three mixed-race artists talking about how their combinations of races affects the mixed genres of their work.
We’ll hear from musician Phillip Blanchett, visual artist Phyllis Fast, & performance poet Robert Karimi.
This originally aired as part of In The Mix: Conversations With Artists Between Races. Find out more at mixedraceworld.org.
And find out more about Loving Day which commemorates the anniversary of Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court case that legalized interracial marriage on June 12th, 1967.
According to the Pew Research Center, about 15% of all new marriages in the United States are interracial (an all time high).
Over 9 million people selected “Two or More Races” accoring to the latest Census numbers, over 2 million more than in 2000. Find out more at lovingday.org.
You can hear Stage & Studio on:
- the KBOO website and on 90.7FM live at 11am on Tuesdays
- Saturdays 11am on KZME, 107.1FM
- Don’t want to miss a single episode? Subscribe to Stage & Studio On iTunes!
- And always on the official Stage & Studio website!